Tuesday, January 9, 2007

New Years at Wall Lake


This year my friends and I (although I played a very, very little part in the actual planning) decided that we were not going to have another regular, anti-climatic New Years celebration. Winter camping won over the cabin with a hot tub idea, which I'm happy to say was a great thing. Eric, Marc, Tara, Logan (Tara's brother) and I drove down to Waterton on New Years eve day. Despite the late start (thanks to Mrs. Bomhof for getting Marc out of bed!!) we had a full day of snowshoeing ahead of us. We all loaded up our gear for the night and headed to Wall lake. It turned out to be the perfect day, sun shining and the snow looked beautiful around us. I'm telling you though, this is no easy task trudging through mountains of snow, but rewarding? Definitely. We were secluded from everything... no business, no noise. Just us, in God's amazing creation. And the quince turned out beautifully, everyone worked so well together. (except for the occasional opportunity I stole to take some pictures, I guess I didn't pull my weight as much then!) The guys built a fire and loads of very delicious food was cooked. I would have to say the only downfall of the trip was worrying whether or not Eric was going to get hypothermia that night. I'm sure he would be able to explain his tragic night in much more colourful words, but he survived. He, along with his sleeping bag, were soaking wet the next morning. After destroying what creations we had made with the snow, we headed back down the trail. We ended the day making pie irons back at the car, yum. But, this was seriously one amazing trip. Short and definitely sweet. I know it's late, but HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!






No comments: